The Official VSU Spectator Music Blog

Rebecka McAleer here, Web Editor for the VSU Spectator. Welcome to my music recommendation blog, Additive Noise! Here I'll be discussing snippets from the music culture that surrounds our lives. From Theory of a Deadman to Rascal Flatts to Pink!, you'll find great music here every week! Ready to get started? Just scroll down, and remember to [Listen Out].


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum [For The Ones Who Need It]


Welcome back to Additive Noise.

Boys and girls, this one's one of my favorites. I honestly don't listen to a lot of Lady Antebellum, but someone recommended this song to me because I needed it, and it's proved to be one of those songs that just helps me through. Sure, it makes me miserable, but sometimes you need a good cry, you know? It's in the title. Need You Now.

First things first, the lyrics make this song. They're quite simple, very direct. You don't have to think about what this or that means, or translating symbolism. No questions. No sitting there thinking about why or how, it's just a feeling. I need you now. That's easy enough for everyone to understand.

The song's theme is equally simple and universal. Everyone gets hurt, and everyone copes differently, but we all feel the same sometimes. The song itself proves that. As two vocalists, one male and one female, sing the same choruses, you get to hear two sides to the story. She waits by the phone and looks at old pictures, he tries to move on with alcohol.

The chorus is particularly memorable. "It's quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now". Does anyone else get depressed easily at wee hours of the morning? Personally I find that I get upset far more often late at night than during the day. "Said I wouldn't call, but I lost all control and I need you now." I've fallen asleep clutching my phone before, hovering on his number, unwilling to press the send button. Sometimes you just have to fight with yourself. "And I don't know how I can do without- I just need you now." It doesn't make sense, there's no reason to it- it's just the basic human emotion. Need. I need you. Almost as if I don't feel the same without you, something's wrong and you don't know what.

This song resonates within every one of us at some point.

Music-wise, the song is...well, it definitely strikes a chord. While there may be many instruments, the entire song is carried on eight simple piano notes. They appear at the beginning and end of the song, isolated, clear. The mix of six major "good" notes and two minor "bad" ones captures the bittersweet essence of the song, and I don't know about anyone else, but those piano notes sound like teardrops to me.

The quiet but rhythmic guitar in the background keeps things going, and the slight electric guitar solo keeps a sad melody line moving throughout the piece. It keeps the mood where it's supposed to be, restricting the song from becoming something it's not.

Trivia fact: Lady Antebellum, though consisting of only three members, used nince performers to officially produce the track.

Call it a guilty pleasure song, but this song speaks to people. Even if you're not a huge fan of country music, this one's for you. Having won eleven out of sixteen American music awards in the past two years, plus having broken several significant award-holding records...well, I'll just let that speak for itself.

So next time you need it, when you feel like making a late-night phone call you'll regret in the morning- know that we've all been there and the music industry has proved it.

Speaking of needing things, I believe I need lunch.

Tune in next week for more Additive Noise!

[Listen Out]

No comments:

Post a Comment